The Tank House
by Jim Dassel
The Tank House was constructed for the Canepa
Dairy on San Felipe Road between 1902 and 1907. The Tank House is of a typical style found in San Benito County, as well as throughout the state, and
was constructed with heart redwood lumber and timber beams that were probably logged and
milled in the Santa Cruz Mountains as were many of the buildings in
San Benito County during that era. Every farm and ranch relied on their windmill and tank house system to
be gravity fed so that the water flowed down stream.
The Tank House was constructed to contain water that was pumped from a windmill, which then supplied water to the buildings below and to the dairy that had an on-going requirement for water: not only for domestic and livestock needs but irrigation of alfalfa as well. The Tank House was in continuous service from the early 1900s to the late 1970s, serving the water needs of the Peter & Aurelia Canepa Dairy on San Felipe Road north of Hollister.