Sullivan House (c. 1868)
The Sullivan house was built on the northern edge of Hollister. Mr. Michael Shea, one of Colonel Hollister's carpenters, built the structure for his widowed sister, Mrs. Mary Sullivan, and her four daughters. Her husband Patrick had been killed in a mining accident in the Mother Lode Country. Mrs. Sullivan died in 1905 and is buried in the Calvary Cemetery along with her husband.
The home's high ceilings and tall narrow windows are unusual features for an 1860s structure. Built of virgin redwood with clapboard siding, the random width of boards used in construction indicates that the boards were sawed and installed corresponding to the tree's natural girth. Square nails are used throughout the house.
The Sullivan House remained in the family for 109 years until Loretto McAleer, a granddaughter, sold it in 1976. Located at 321 San Felipe Road near the site of Hayward Lumber Company, the house was scheduled for a practice burn by the Hollister fire department. Saved from the match by the Historical Society and other concerned citizens; the house was the first structure moved into the Historical Park. Due to various setbacks, the restoration stage did not began until fall of 1989 by the Historical Society's volunteer force and the Soledad crews from the State Department of Forestry's Gaviland Conservation Camp. The wood structure, complete with rustic outhouse and landscaped period garden, has two bedchambers, a kitchen, and parlor. Restoration complete, the Sullivan House was dedicated in August of 1990.