Dunneville Dance Hall (2013)
With two grants (one from the Community Foundation for San Benito County and one from the Monterey Peninsula Foundation) the new Dance Hall is well on its way to completion. The walls are up with siding completed and the trusses are covered with plywood. A new partnership with the Center for Employment Services has been established with interns in the construction field to finish the building. Here are some recent pictures with more to follow as progress is made.
Dunneville Dance Hall (1890)
Leonard Arlington Chase built this building in 1890. In 1918, Chester Bromley bought the five-acre site, and in 1921, the building was turned to face San Felipe Road. The building became a mechanic, electrician, phone line installer's shop; also Grunow Radio Sales and Repair. The Dance Hall was moved to the park on September 27, 1992 in three sections after the roof was removed.
The Dance Hall in 1906 at San Felipe Road (Dunneville)
Gayle Mallon of Fremont has donated a Peanut Roaster to the Historical Society. Her father, Gaylord Lewis, lived in Hollister for 50 years, and purchased the roaster on his travels to Minnesota. The roaster is now housed in the Dance Hall at the Historical Park. Unfortunately the upper part out of glass got damaged in the 2006 storm when the Dance Hall was destroyed.
The "Boss On Wheels"
The "Boss" after the 2006 storm.